So this one has me completely stumped. I have installed SC2 on POL (latest version), via Battle.Net. U p until yesterday, I was able to run it just fine, but then I went and tinkered with the Wine configuration in POL, thinking I would be able to make it look better. Now, whenever I run SC2 it says I have a graphics card of NVidia GeForce 8800, but in reality, I have a Radeon HD 4870. As a result, the in-game graphics are all pixelated, extrememly slow, and unplayable.
Details: At no place have I ever specified anything about an NVidia card. My linux drivers (I run kubuntu 15.10) are set to the defaul X.org and I am not using the fglrx drivers, since they no long support my graphics card anyway. I attempted a clean reinstall of battle.net and SC2, but it does the same thing. I went into the Wine config, and confirmed that the registry shows the correct DWORD keys for the Device ID. I am running on Wine 1.9.3, emulating Windows XP.
When I get access to my PC again, I can post additional information, including lscpi output and the SC2 graphics log file.
Has anyone seen this issue before??? Google yields nothing, and I am at my wits end by now. Please help, anyone!
Edit: More info from lspci | grep VGA
lspci | grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV770 [Radeon HD 4870]
Update! I found the solution, so I will put it here in case someone needs it.
I did two major changes to my system:
I did a distribution upgrade from 15.10 to 16.04. I believe this helped in better default driver support for my older graphics card (Radeon 4870).
sudo ppa-purge oibaf/graphics-drivers
I think that second command was actually the key, although I had been meaning to doa dist-upgrade for a while. The oibaf ppa was originally used to get driver updates for some legacy stuff, but an upgrade while messing with my graphics settings must have broke something bad. As a result, running the following command gave me this output: