Fedora 8 Released ! Codename Werewolf. As usual, new features are integrated. But that's not all. This time, Fedora is declined in spins which are variations of Fedora built from a specific set of software packages.
What is Fedora ?
Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in free and open source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people across the globe who work together as a community: the Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone is welcome to join. The Fedora Project is out front for you, leading the advancement of free, open software and content.
The operating system is Fedora. It comes out twice a year or so. It's completely free, and we're committed to keeping it that way. It's the best combination of robust and latest software that exists in the free software world.
The mindset is doing the right thing. To us, that means providing free and open software and content, at no cost, freely usable, modifiable, redistributable, and unencumbered by software patents.
Fedora's Features :
- GNOME 2.20
- KDE 3.5.8
- OpenOffice.org 2.3
- Eclipse 3.3
- Firefox 188.8.131.52
- 2.6.23 based kernel.
- A brand new graphical firewall configuration tool, system-config-firewall, replaces system-config-securitylevel.
- Nodoka, a fresh new GNOME theme created specially for Fedora, is available in this release.
- Xfce 4.4.1 is available as part of this release.
- PulseAudio is now installed and enabled by default. PulseAudio is an advanced sound server compatible with nearly all existing Linux sound systems. PulseAudio allows for hot-switching audio outputs, individual volume controls for each audio stream, networked audio, and more.
- Compiz Fusion, the compositing window manager that re-merges Compiz and Beryl, is installed by default. To enable Compiz Fusion in GNOME, use the System → Preferences → Desktop Effects tool. Ongoing, long term Xorg work continues to enable Compiz by default.
-This release of Fedora has a new look and feel, called Infinity, from the Fedora Art team.
To know more about the new features go Here
Zenwalk 4.6 is released ! This one code name is Red Pill and brings its batch of innovations.
What is Zenwalk ?
Zenwalk Linux is an operating system which wants to be : - Modern (last stable packages)
- Rapid (optimized for better performances)
- Rational (an application by task)
- Complete (business suit environment, multi-media and development)
- Evolutionary (thanks to a simple and effective package manager by Internet)
Main features of Zenwalk : - Core : Linux- 184.108.40.206 with support of kvm
- Developpment : GCC-4.1.1, Python-2.5, Perl-5.8.8, GTK2-2.10.12
- Editors : Geany-0.10.2, Bluefish-1.0.7, Mousepad-0.2.12, Vim-7.0.195
- Office : XFCE-4.4.1
- Internet : Firefox- 220.127.116.11, Thunderbird- 18.104.22.168, Gftp-2.0.18
- Multi-media : Alsa-1.0.14rc4, 0.4.6.1 Gnome-Mplayer, gnomebaker-0.6.1,
- Office softwares : Abiword-2.4.6, Gnumeric-1.7.10
You can download Zenwalk here