Saturday 26 January 2008 at 11:24
With PlayOnLinux's development and the growing internationalization, the need of an English specific team is more and more perceptible.
That's why we are starting a huge recruitment campaign. You think that PlayOnLinux is a a superb initiative? You always wanted to contribute to free software but you didn't know where to begin with? This is your chance!
Indeed PlayOnLinux's (POL's) project is potentially useful for everyone as most of the computer owners use it to play, would it be occasionally. Moreover, particular knowledges and/or talents are NOT required to become part of POL's team, judge it by yourself:
There are 3 main positions you can apply to:
- Newser for the English website. Should write news about free software and games' current events. Should obviously write perfect English and be ready to propose news at least once a week.
- Moderator for the English website. Should keep an eye on what is said and answer or follow up talked about issues. Won't be left alone, there's a team and administrators working together. Should obviously write perfect English and be ready to make the "don't write what your mother wouldn't like to read" rule respected almost everyday. This is a mighty position with the tools provided so previous experience(s) or "active and positive" participation in the POL's forum would be preferred.
- Scripter. Should be able to write scripts (in bash) to configurate Wine, which purpose is to facilitate the "install and play" of your favorite games. Should test and maintain his/her own scripts. Should know basic Linux commands (the bash script creation and the POL's specific commands are easy and quick to learn) and own games (or friends who'd lend them) in order to write the corresponding scripts.
But it's not all. If you don't have any skills in English (how did you come through down to here then??), we are looking for newsers for the French section too! They share the same roles and responsibilities as the English ones, the only difference being the language (who'd have guessed that).
If you are interested in applying to one of these positions or if you just want more information, feel free to contact either me (via Private Message - free registration needed - or via e-mail : lenaindelamoria <at> gmail.com) or Tinou the administrator (Private Message or e-mail : postmaster <at> playonlinux.com)
We are looking forward to hearing from U!
Tuesday 22 January 2008 at 13:38
Here's the release highlights list:
- Fixed a problem causing the fan on some GPUs to always run at full speed.
- Fixed a bug that caused the X driver to crash if the X.Org GLX extension module was loaded intead of NVIDIA??s.
- Improved the X driver??s awareness of the current notebook docking status.
- Fixed brightness control on HP Compaq notebooks.
- Fixed a bug in the Linux/i2c algorithm driver implementation that prevented core transfer types from succeeding.
The official page of the 32 bits NVIDIA display driver 169.09 (EN).
The official page of the 64 bits NVIDIA display driver 169.09 (EN).
NVIDIA display driver 169.09 for x86 systems (USA)
NVIDIA display driver 169.09 for x86_64 systems (USA)
Source : PCINpact.com
Monday 21 January 2008 at 22:11
PlayOnLinux 2.0.6 is out with some minor changes.
Waht's new :
- Correction of the English language: Thansk to AndrewTheArt
- New Italien translation: Thanks to kurama
- Correction of a problem with the "--run" command (the script would leave a space before the first argument, which could hinder some Windows applications). Thanks to hasi for pointing out the bug.
French (we never know )
Sunday 20 January 2008 at 13:23
This update brings:
- The official support of RedHat Enteprise Linux 5.1 and 4.6, and of Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) too.
- A display error will no longer be noticed in the lower right corner of the screen or on the mouse pointer after the system is running for a long period of time.
- Connecting a display device that supports 1680x1050 to a system running Linux will no longer result in a maximum display resolution of 1280x1024 (the only one available previously).
- Custom mode lines in xorg.conf will no longer be ignored by the fglrx driver.
- Suspending to RAM or DISK on kernels version 2.6.23 or later no longer fails.
Full and detailed release's notes are HERE.
ATI Catalyst 8.01 for x86 systems
ATI Catalyst 8.01 for x86_64 systems
Sunday 13 January 2008 at 15:58
I'll carry on the series with the sublime Prince of Persia - Warrior Within
The Dahaka, that invincible beast of time, is tracking you... change your destiny, fight the empress of time, destroy the sands, save your soul!!
For more details, check the forum HERE
Saturday 12 January 2008 at 11:26
This new release brings:
- RunOnce and Run entries now executed on startup.
- Beginnings of support for emulated disk devices.
- Many Richedit improvements.
- Nicer looking color dialog.
- Lots of bug fixes.
To see detailed release's note, go to the official announce's page.
To downlaod binary packages for several systems and distributions, see HERE.
Saturday 5 January 2008 at 15:50
To start 2008 as it should been, I propose you to (re)discover a legendary game: Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time
A pure jewel of action and adventure especially not to miss!!
For more details, see the forum HERE.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 at 0:25
I wish you a good and happy 2008 year. I hope you have passed a good saint Sylvestre night with you familly or your friends
Happy 2008 year!!!
And sorry once more for the late. (I didn't find any cool pciture this time ).
Sunday 30 December 2007 at 18:00
NVIDIA 2007 Year in Review
AMD 2007 Year in Review
Sources: Phoronix.com (AYiR 2007 NVIDIA et AMD)
Sunday 30 December 2007 at 17:10
Wine makes us a Christmas gift in late: the 0.9.52 release of Wine.
Let's see that festive menu:
* Improved graphics tablet support.
* Support for RPC context handles.
* Fixes for some longstanding screen depth issues.
* Implementation of "My Network Places" shell folder.
* Lots of bug fixes.
I wish you all to have good time during this fest period (and do not misuse the chocolates, it's bad for your health)